April 8, 2011

Room by Emma Donaghue

What do you do when everything you know is wrong? When everything you've been told your entire life is a lie? And then one day you wake up and the entire world changes.

Welcome to the life of Jack, a five-year old boy who has never left the room he was born in. A boy who has been told his entire life that the things he sees in TV are not real; they are just TV. A boy that has been taught by his mother that not only all he needs, but all that there is, is inside an 11x11 foot room. Jack is the narrator of Room, and while at times I wish I could see the story from his mom's perspective, I don't think this book could have been written any other way and have been as successful.

Room is at times disturbing because of the subject matter, but it's originality and creativity is thought-provoking, heart-wrenching, and mind-numbing all at the time same. Like any good book does, it makes you ask the tough question of what would I have done if in their situation? It's a book that will make you laugh on one page and cry on the next as you feel for both this 5-year old boy and his mom, stuck in a routine maybe forever. There are moments when I wished I could have stopped reading, but those are the same moments when I knew that I had to find out what happened to little Jack and his mom. One of the most creative and thought-provoking books I've read in a long time.

For another perspective on the book, check out Megan's February review

.

2 comments:

  1. I just read this book, too! Loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is on my TBR list and I have heard so many good things about it,

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for joining our discussion of this book!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...