August 8, 2008

The Legacy of Sovereign Joy by John Piper

The Legacy of Sovereign Joy is the first in the Swans are Not Silent series, John Piper's series of biographies. Each contains short biographical summaries of three important people in church history.

The Legacy of Sovereign Joy covers the lives of Augustine, John Calvin, and Martin Luther. While I found many of the details of their lives fascinating and pertinent, I felt like this book was aimed at pastors, not laymen. I hadn't gotten that to be the intent from the back cover so that was surprising. Even though I'm in seminary, I was wanting more of a general introduction to their lives and what we can learn from them, not a detailed this-is-how-you-apply-this-lesson-to-your-pastoral-ministry kind of thing.

Regardless, I have the other 3 books in this series and will be reading them. They really do a great job of giving you a feel of these important characters in a short amount of time, as the whole book is only 150 pages.

1 comment:

Thanks for joining our discussion of this book!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...