March 6, 2011

The Me Project by Kathi Lipp

If you haven't noticed, I tend to read a lot of "achieve your goals" and "better your life" type books. Just in the past few years I've read and reviewed A Woman in Her Workplace, Walk Like You Have Somewhere to Go, Super Life Secret Codes, Good Girls Don't Have to Dress Bad, and Simple Compassion. So yes, I do tend to read a number of self-help type books, anything to get me motivated to live better life.

The Me Project by Kathi Lipp is another one of those, take simple steps to put yourself first and become the woman you want to be books. Lipp helps you choose one goal and guides your through three weeks of simple steps to really focus and do all you can to meet that goal. Each day is something small like forming a support group (your project team), putting together a plan (your project plan) to help you reach your goal, and so on. The steps she goes through for the goal are all very doable and very helpful. And because my profession is actually a project manager, I really like the idea of thinking of a goal as a project and then planning out the steps necessary to complete that project.

The one negative I found to this book for me personally was that I felt like all of the steps were good ones for getting your life back on track, but I'm really not sure if they would help me achieve a long-term goal like running a marathon for instance. I think they would be useful for a short-term goal or building a foundation, but I did feel like many of the steps were one-time things to keep you focused on the goal and once the three weeks was up, I'm not quite sure what happens then.

Overall the writing was concise, readable, and enjoyable but I'm not sure this would be the first of the many self-help books I'd pick up again or recommend to other people. Because I'd actually just had a book club meeting about it, I had to compare this to The Happiness Project by Gretchen Rubin, and The Me Project definitely did not inspire me in the same way as Gretchen Rubin did. 4 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for joining our discussion of this book!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...