January 12, 2011

Walk Like You Have Somewhere to Go by Lucille O'Neal

I was given Walk Like You Have Somewhere to Go to review through BookSneeze.com. This book is about Lucille O'Neal (the mother of NBA star Shaquille O'Neal) and her journey from her childhood to where she is now. The book is full of stories from her life, relationships, and lessons she's learned in her fifty-five years including the biggest lesson she seems to have learned in her life - live your own life rather than living the life others want you to live. Treat every day of your life with a purpose as every day has a purpose and will affect the person you become.

I have to be honest and say that as intrigued as I was by this book initially, I lost interest about twenty pages in. I really like self-help type books, books that make you think about ways you can improve your life. This wasn't that kind of book. This was a book that really focused on Lucille's journey and as interesting and challenging as her life was, it really didn't teach me or inspire me to change in any way. It gave me a lot of information about Lucille and her family, but it really didn't help me understand how Lucille came to an understanding that she needed to start living her own life rather than the life she thought she should be living. I'm not typically a biography type person and that's what this book was for me - an autobiography.

I would recommend this book to anyone that is interested in learning about Lucille's life, especially if you're interested in Shaq as she does throw in some interesting tidbits that you may never know about the superstar. But I probably wouldn't go out of my way to recommend this book to anyone else as it wasn't the most interesting, inspiring, or really the most anything for me. 3 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for joining our discussion of this book!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...