January 7, 2010

Simple Compassion by Keri Wyatt Kent

In July I reviewed another one of Keri Wyatt Kent's books called Rest that I really enjoyed. It had a lot of good insight on a way to create a little bit of piece and rest in the midst of busy weeks. Because I really enjoyed Rest, I was excited when I was sent Keri's new book Simple Compassion: Devotions to Make a Difference in Your Neighboorhood and Your World by the publisher to review.

The book is split into four sections: Compassion Begins with You, Compassion Grows in Community, Compassion Extends Beyond Our Comfort Zones, and Compassion Offers God's Love to the World. While reading through the first two sections many of the things that Keri says hit home with me about trying to live our lives like Christ. After each chapter she gives, "Compassion steps," basically baby steps to try and act on the principle she talks about in that chapter. For instance, in the devotion called "Why," Keri talks about getting to know and loving our true neighbors and the compassion steps are to learn two of your neighbors names that you don't know. That is a step that I can take. There were a lot of these little steps in the first two sections that I really could relate to.

Feeling inspired by the book, I started a conversation with my neighbor in the elevator on my way home from a workout. And it made my night that much better.

However, the second half of this book seemed more directed towards an actual ministry or church group (which it's possible this book is) and included a lot of really big things that just kind of went in one ear and out the other. Things like learning about the refuges and helping the refuges in my area and helping out with an organization that benefits children in Africa. It was full of great ideas, but most of them just went right over my head because those just are realistic for me right now.

So my review and recommendation for this book are two-fold. I kind of wish for my own sake that the entire book had been full of the small devotions that made up the first half about changing yourself and loving those people around you (community, family, friends), but I do see how the second half could be great for someone looking for ways to make a big difference. But it is a good book and has something for everyone. 3 stars.


2 comments:

  1. Thanks for participating in the tour!
    Tina

    ReplyDelete
  2. This one sounds like something I could use, especially the first half.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for joining our discussion of this book!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...