June 16, 2008

Calm My Anxious Heart by Linda Dillow

Linda Dillow's Calm My Anxious Heart is a book for women about contentment. I think that it's a good book about a subject that most women deal with (including me!). I guess what keeps me from saying it is an excellent book is that I've read a book on contentment (Jeremiah Burrough's Rare Jewel of Christian Contentment) that I think is better. That said, Linda Dillow does a better job applying the concepts today and making it particularly applicable to women. It also isn't intimidating like reading a 350-year-old book by a Puritan pastor might be.

Linda Dillow deals with several areas where women struggle to be content: with ourselves, with our relationships, and with our roles. She also addresses worry and trusting God with the What Ifs, the If Onlys and the Whys. Throughout the book she describes people that she has met with in her years of serving God in eastern Europe. These real life examples of content women who were struggling merely to keep their family fed and clothed provide the necessary perspective as we Americans struggle with being content with not being able to travel where we want or upgrade our already nice computer.

I appreciate that this book is one of the few on women topics that recognizes that some of the readers are unintentionally single (borrowing the term from Connally Gilliam). It is so helpful to me when the applications and examples don't automatically assume everyone who reads this is a stay-at-home mom with 2.5 kids. Especially when it's a book on contentment and that's what I want.

I would recommend this book to any women who want to learn to be more content in their life.

2 comments:

  1. I admit that I am not as content as I want to be concerning myself. I always think I am too ugly or too skinny or something..

    I'll have to check this out....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the review. This is something I struggle with as well. I'll be on the look out for this book.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for joining our discussion of this book!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...