February 9, 2008

Book Review: Ghost Soldiers


Surprising as it may be, I am actually a really big WWII buff. I love WWII documentaries, movies like Saving Private Ryan and mini-series like HBO's Band of Brothers.

And I am also always on the look-out for books to read about the War, and the lives of those that lived during that time period. Whether back here on the homefront or the soldiers that were on the front lines.

Ghost Soldiers details the lives of the American soldiers during the Bataan Death March through their internment in the Japanese prison system and the eventual liberation of several hundred during a daring raid on the prison at Cabanatuan by an army Ranger unit.

I don't want to say that I "enjoyed" this book, because the Bataan Death March is something you can't enjoy reading about. But it was a very powerful and provoking book and I am so glad I read it. It gives you a greater appreciation for what the soldiers went through.

I will warn you, however, that this book is raw. It goes into great detail. As much as I didn't want to, there were times I had to put the book down and do something else.

But it is definitly worth reading, and a story you will not easily forget.

1 comment:

  1. Though I was a history major, I was never big on reading about wars themselves. I prefer to learn about the political and domestic sides of war.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for joining our discussion of this book!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...