February 20, 2012

Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? (and other concerns) by Mindy Kaling

I loved this book.  I want to be Mindy's BFF.  She's funny, she's honest, she's just a bit over-dramatic, and she's a goody-goody at heart who still loves to hang out with her parents--she's just my type of lady.

She has a great chapter on how she had a photo shoot and all of the available dresses were size 0, and how awful she felt that she couldn't fit into any of them.  The chapter that made me laugh the most was a short one about how ridiculously long it takes for men to put on shoes.  Seriously, it takes my husband forever (I don't even sit down when I put on shoes!)

The biggest negative about the book is that the narrative flow of the chapters isn't the greatest.  It tends to jump from one topic to another.  But as I enjoyed everything that she had to say, it didn't bother me that much.  It's also very much a "girl" book--most of the humor revolves around things that men may not find that funny.

I read Tiny Fey's Bossypants shortly after reading this, and I have to say that I enjoyed this one a little more.  Mindy seems like a real person with insecurities and flaws.  I can relate to her. 

Four and half stars
post signature

1 comment:

  1. This is the next book I'm going to get on Audible. Glad you liked it... I've read mixed reviews, but after this one, I'm definitely getting it!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for joining our discussion of this book!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...