December 8, 2011

Farsighted by Emlyn Chand


I was skeptical about Farsighted before I began reading it.  The main character, Alex, is blind.  The MAIN character is BLIND!  Imagine all the scenery and setting and sensory images you gain from a character's sight while reading!  It concerned me.  But I was sorely mistaken!  Farsighted gains depth and dimension from Alex's blindness.  Alex gives us sensory experience through smell, touch, and hearing that are so deep and so real I honestly even forgot he was blind for quite a while.

What makes Alex even more special is that he can see the future.  And what makes Alex completley normal and totally relatable? He's bullied.  He's bullied without mercy.  His parents are openly flawed.  The adults around him are odd.  He is an average teen with an extrodinary talent.  I really appreciated the realness that permeates the story, even through the supernatural 'farsight'.

When Alex sees a bad premonition of his friend Simmi, he is determined to stop it, and so begins the mystery part of the book.  And I will openly admit, I was floored by the outcome - I totally guessed wrong and was shocked (in a good way) by where Alex's story ends up and I can't wait to read more!

This is one of the best YA books I have read in a very long time.  I was hooked.  I was enthralled.  I was so engrossed I am still thinking about it everyday!  Read this.  You won't be dissapointed.

5 Stars!  Recommended for teens and adults.
post signature

3 comments:

  1. Wow, Lisa! Color me tremendously flattered. I'm thrilled you enjoyed Farsighted this much - such high praise; I'm smiling so very, very wide :-D

    Make sure to sign-up for my ARC mailing list on www.emlynchand.com if you'd like a pre-release copy of Book #2, Open Heart.

    Thank you again,
    Emlyn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, and I'd be super grateful if you'd cross-post this review to Amazon and GoodReads to help up exposure for Farsighted. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I completely agree, Farsighted is definitely one of the best books I have read in this genre in a long time. Emlyn Chand looks like a promising up-and-coming author. I hope the sequel lives up to the legacy of the first book!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for joining our discussion of this book!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...