June 16, 2011

Bunch of Books

The past two weeks I've been traveling through Europe with my family, which has given me some, albeit not as much as I was expecting, time to read. During this time I read three different books that have all been previously reviewed here so I'm just doing a quick summary of my take on the books all together. I've linked the book names to the previous reviews.

The Glass Castle by Jeanette Wells
Okay so you all told me that I would love this book, but I was really nervous to read it because I thought it was going to be dark and heavy. As soon as I started the book I realized that wasn't the case. Thinking back on it now, I thought this book was something more along the lines of The Lovely Bones. And that misplaced thought kept me from reading one of my favorite books I've read in the past year. You were right, I loved it and had to remind myself often that it was a memoir and not a piece of fiction.

One Day by David Nichols
I picked this one up based on A Super Girl's review because I thought the idea was intriguing - visiting the same characters over the years on the same exact day. And like A Super Girl I enjoyed the book but found the main male character infuriating, but it's another one of those books that I couldn't put down because I just had to know what would happen in the years to come. I'm very intrigued to see what they do with the movie that comes out in August.

The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein
This book surprised me. It's the story of a race car driver's family from the perspective of the family dog. It's funny but at the same time profound and heavy with meaning. Like Marley and Me, it's centered around an animal but uses that animal as a way to teach life principles.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for joining our discussion of this book!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...