April 18, 2011

Promises to Keep by Ann Tatlock


I received my review copy of Promises to Keep by Ann Tatlock from Bethany House a few days ago. I offered to review it because I had gotten into a Christian romance rut and thought that this would be a change of pace, and it certainly was.


This book is still "Christian" though very subtly so. It is very down-to-earth with normal people and common problems living in a realistic late '60's America. It is a well-written book with very believable characters. There are many life issues explored in the book. Race relations, spousal abuse, old age, losing childhood innocence, and the Vietnam War are all woven into this intriguing tale.

The thing I liked most about this book is how it shows God’s hand weaving together the lives of two families. It shows how he can work in bad times to bring about good.

Despite all of the excellent writing, I can’t bring myself to give this book five stars. I read books for a relaxing escape. There was just too much real world here. Of course, this is probably a defect of mine and not the book.

So if you are looking for a break from romantic flights of fancy, this is a great book to read. It has depth and life lessons and other things worth contemplating. I guess that I prefer something more light-hearted.


1 comment:

  1. I think I'll have to order this one next time. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for joining our discussion of this book!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...