June 27, 2010

Girl with a Pearl Earring by Tracy Chevalier

Every time I pick up a historical fiction novel I am expecting to be blown away because of my experiences with novels like Cleopatra's Daughter. But lately every time I get through one, I'm highly disappointed because maybe my expectations were too high. The back cover of Girl with a Pearl Earring says, "The bestselling novel hailed by critics from coast to coast." It's a good thing I wasn't one of those critics.

Girl with a Pearl Earring is about a real artist, Vermeer, and a fictitious muse that becomes the source of one of his most famous paintings. The muse is a young girl, Griet who has to go to work as a maid to make money for her family when her father cannot. As she cleans the artists studio, she becomes his apprentice/assistant of sorts. As is the case with many instructor/student relationships, Griet quickly falls into adoration with her master both physically and artistically.

The book was well written and had a good plot, but I was left dissatisfied in far too many ways to put it on my book recommendation list. As hard as her life really was, the author made it seem like life was easy for Griet and things just worked out in the ways they were supposed to. I didn't feel her emotions at all and didn't connect with her at all. 3 stars for good writing but definitely not on the top of list.


3 comments:

  1. Wasn't her name Griet? I was never sure how to pronounce it, which made for awkward reading. I wasn't overly impressed with this one either, yet I remember it vividly even though I read it a long time ago, and that says something for it. I liked two of her other books better, The Virgin Blue and Falling Angels or something. The one she did about William Blake, Burning Bright, was just bad IMO.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This book!! One of my fave so far!! The best !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Get daily suggestions and instructions for making $1,000s per day FROM HOME for FREE.
    CLICK HERE TO DISCOVER

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for joining our discussion of this book!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...