March 19, 2010

Devil's Food Cake by Josi Kilpack

It's been years since author Thom Mortenson has been back to Garrison, Colorado. As part of the library fundraising committee, who invited him to speak, Sadie Hoffmiller wants everything to be perfect—right down to the homemade Devil’s Food Cake she made herself. Murder, however, was not on the menu. Sadie's detective boyfriend doesn't "need" Sadie's help with the investigation so she starts one of her own.

The best part about Devil's Food Cake is that it's written as a "culinary mystery." Rather than just a hilarious story with laugh out loud characters, you get recipes for the delicious dishes that Sadie is serving to the suspects. So right after Sadie describes the decadent devil's food cake they are eating at the fundraiser, you get to turn the page and make it yourself. And I am definitely planning to make some of them myself because they all sounded delicious. I originally thought that adding the recipes into the book would be somewhat distracting, but it's actually perfect and an idea I wish I would've thought of myself. It's a way for you to connect more with the novel and get into Sadie's head. Not that you really need any help because her character fits the ever present busybody small town middle-aged woman.

Overall, I really enjoyed this book. The mystery kept me guessing, and the writing kept me laughing. I'd say it was a delicious combination and would recommend this one to anyone really. Just be prepared to crave sweets after. 4 stars

**I was given this book to review by Pump Up Your Book Promotions. This is my honest opinion.

1 comment:

  1. This was such a fun book to read. I love Sadie! The first two are just as fun.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for joining our discussion of this book!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...