December 3, 2009

Faces in the Fire by T.L. Hines

I given this book to review by the publisher, and it's sat on my bookshelf for days just saying read me. I finally had time to do so and once I picked it up, I couldn't put it back down. Similiar to the movie Momento, Faces in the Fire is a disjointed story of four different characters that touch each other's lives while trying to figure out their own. The story jumps from past to present and back again while quickly engrossing the reader in this mystical story. From the story of Kurt the truck driver who lost his memory and woke only knowing he was accepted in truck driving school to Grace the tattoo artist who sees words in people's tattoos, this book has characters that are just trying to find themselves.

Overall I really liked this novel except for the end. I was really hoping that the author would tie everything back together in the last chapter, but it didn't happen. Each person's stories are told but never ended and never closed out. At the end of the novel I found myself wondering what happened next for each character because it kind of leaves them all without resolving anything. I wish there was some type of resolution for all characters at the end of or something to close out the book in my mind. I had way too many questions after I read the last sentence for me to feel good about the book ending. I would recommend this book to anyone interested in a different sort of read. A little bit of fantasy, reality, and mystery all wrapped into one. 3 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for joining our discussion of this book!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...