May 13, 2009

Tender Graces, by Kathryn Magendie



I was so proud when I found out from Ronnica that it was my turn to have a book sent to me to review. And I was not disappointed. I had to wait a little while before I was able to give my full attention to the full size spiral bound manuscript, but once I started it, I could not put it down.

I finished this book in about three days. It was a gentle and easy ride, as it has a nice flow to it. The plot line has a harshness that might be difficult for people who were not brought up in a dysfunctional family situation, but the way the story is told softens every blow.

I have to say that the author has a majesty with words, so that you want to read and re-read some of the paragraphs so you can fully imagine them before you are able to move on. You savor the story in it's exquisiteness, "Momma twirled with her arms out and her nightgown swirled. She was lit up from behind by the lamp and her body showed through the gown. She didn't look like a momma who had three babies. She was like a momma with no kids at all. She rose up on her toes and bent backwards a bit. I wanted to be her then, grown up and beautiful, dancing. I thought most everything Momma did was as mysterious as the moon and as bright as the sun. I went back to bed, snuggled under Grandma's quilt, and fell asleep listening to the music."

The words that lead the story are put together so well that you can picture each part of it in your head while the plot line comes together in a way that will leave you begging for more. It was masterful, it was extremely well written, and it is a beautiful story.

I would highly recommend that you read this book.












3 comments:

  1. Thank you for such a wonderful review. That excerpt you wrote is one of my favorite parts of the novel; I'm glad that was one of yours. *smiling*

    Now I have a big smile - Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ms. Magendie: No, thank you. That was only one of many paragraphs that I adored. I gave myself a rare three hours of uninterrupted reading on Mother's Day morning to finish the book, and I did not want it to end. It moved me to tears. Bravo!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for joining our discussion of this book!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...