May 11, 2009

Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal, by Christopher Moore

A few weeks back, I'd written a post on my blog asking for book recommendations. I've been having so much fun trying out new (to me) books! When my sister-in-law recommended Lamb, I remembered the glowing review I read here a few months ago and put this book right at the top of my pile. And I'm glad I did!

This book purports to tell about Joshua's (aka Jesus's) life from childhood through his crucifixion. The Bible is largely silent about those growing up years, so this is a hilarious take on what might have happened. Joshua and his best friend, Biff, travel through Asia, seeking wisdom and information.

Is this book for everyone? Of course not. However, I didn't find it to be an offensive book in that I don't believe it was written with ill-intent toward Christianity. In fact, Joshua/Jesus is portrayed as a good man throughout, seeking a way to fulfill the destiny placed upon him by his Father. However, there was a fair share of naughty language and sexual situations (Biff's descriptions of the (fake) Kama Sutra were some of the funniest things I've read!).

I found this to be well-written, engaging, and quite hilarious. It's probably my favorite book that I've read this year, and believe me, I'll be seeking out other books by Christopher Moore!


1 comment:

  1. I absolutely loved this book. I read it about 7 years ago and couldn't put it down. I've re-read it at least once since.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for joining our discussion of this book!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...