March 2, 2009

The Virgin Blue by Tracy Chevalier

I was a little dismayed when I returned from the library with this book and realized I'd already read it. I've read all of Chevalier's books now. My favorite was Falling Angels, least favorite was Burning Bright.

Tracy Chevalier is a dark writer. Everything is tinged with pessimism, depression, and hardship. However, she also has a way of making these things beautiful. In fact this book is the perfect example of that because it revolves around the dichotomy of the color blue: both sad and uplifting, both dark and bight.

The way this book is set up is not original. The main character, Ella, moves to France with her husband, and begins having dreams that link her to her family's history in that area. Scenes switch between Ella and her 16th century counterpart, Isabelle, until Ella is able to follow the trail that's been left to reconcile her ancestral past.

It's a tired premise, but it's a beautiful -albeit painful- story. In the end I was glad to reread it. I got a lot more out of it this time. When I read it before I wasn't yet a mother, and being a mother causes me to see certain events and situations in a different light. This book isn't for the masses, but it's a worthwhile read.



1 comment:

  1. Wow! I love this type of book. And Tracy is an excellent writer.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for joining our discussion of this book!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...