March 2, 2009

The Hummingbird's Daughter by Luis Alberto Urrea



I just finished The Hummingbird's Daughter by Luis Alberto Urrea, an excellent piece of researched fiction telling the story of Teresita Urrea, aka the Saint of Cabora, a town in Mexico. Teresita Urrea (1873-1906) was a real person and a relative of the author, Luis Alberto Urrea.

This story of an abandoned child who grows up to have alarming power and influence is both interesting and well-told. I didn't realize that it was based on a real person until I was over half-way through; this added greatly to my appreciation of the book.

Here is a link to a more detailed and well-written review over at AmoXcalli and a link to the Luis Alberto Urrea's site.
If you enjoy magical realism and/or historical fiction, you will enjoy this eloquent novel.

~Suzanne

1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much for the kind words about my book. I'm honored and gratified that you give it such praise. The sequel to Hummingbird is in the works (due next year) and my new novel (a more contemporary story) will be published in May. Thanks for reading!
    Luis

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for joining our discussion of this book!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...