October 1, 2008

Sloppy Firsts by Megan McCafferty

This book reminded me of everything I hated about high school. It has anything you would see in a stereotypical high school movie and then some. There were times when I laughed out loud remembering how for some reason during high school the big goal in life is to be well-liked and maybe even popular. But that’s about it. It's funny but really didn't have a whole lot of depth.

This book follows a high school girl, whose best friend moved away during the summer, as she tries to deal with fitting into a group of people that she doesn’t even like. She is reaching for goals that are not her own and trying to become something she’s not, so she stops trying and goes her own way. Eventually she finds out that her friend moving, while it may have seem devastating at first, may have been the best thing that could happen to her.

This was the first book I’d ever read by Megan McCafferty and unless she’s written something where the characters are out of high school, this will probably be my last. It was okay if you’re looking for a novel to read pool-side in the summer or if you have a layover at the airport, but I probably wouldn’t read it again. The storyline is pretty predictable, the characters were annoying in a teenage sort of way, and the relationships, to me, weren’t very believable. I would only recommend this to someone who likes reading about typical teenage girls (think Mean Girls, Confessions of a Teenage Drama Queen, etc.) in a typical high school atmosphere. Be prepared for the diary entries, gossip, and boys.

1 comment:

  1. Overall, I enjoyed the book. Like you said, it reminded me of everything I hated in high school, and like the main character, I too was forced to surround myself with a group of people that I could not stand. I had read it for the first time about three years ago, so I was just out of high school, and all of those emotions were still fresh in my mind. I was able to relate to the main character on several different levels, especially with the end result. I also enjoyed her sarcastic and witty sense of humor throughout the entirety of the book. I probably won't read it again, however, I found the 2nd and 3rd sequels to be good and full of surprises. I have the fourth installment of the book, however I have yet to read it.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for joining our discussion of this book!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...