October 13, 2008

Running Scared by Ed Welch

This is a book that I was required to read for my Counseling Individuals with Problematic Emotions class, but I am so glad I did. I struggle with worry, but I'm usually too prideful to admit it.

I had just read Welch's book on Depression when I picked this one up, and I was shocked at the change of tone. I quickly figured out why: fear and worry were a real issue in Welch's life. He knows exactly what it feels like to be overcome with anxiety. It was as if he was writing this book for his own benefit, and not just the benefit of the reader.

Welch deals with three major areas of worry: worry about money, the fear of man, and the fear of death. He also spends several chapters talking about peace. He recommends that each chapter be read individually, and then discussed/shared with someone else before you moved on. I think this would have been helpful to do, but not practical for me as I had to read this book in order to write a paper on it.

Some great quotes:

"God tests us because we are so oblivious to the mixed allegiances in our hearts." - p. 75

"Fear and worry are not mere emotions; they are expressions of what we hold dear. They reveal the loyalties of our hearts." - p. 161

"There's that question again that undergirds so much worry: Why am I so concerned about me?" - p. 180

"God does not forgive you based on the quality of your confession or your resolve to be a better person." - p. 226

I would strongly recommend this book to anyone who suffers from fear or worry.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for joining our discussion of this book!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...