October 8, 2008

Humility by Andrew Murray


Humility: The Journey Toward Holiness by Andrew Murray is a classic Christian work. It's a small book on a big topic.

This is a book I needed, but probably didn't get enough out of. I struggle with pride in my own accomplishments, but it's a tough thing to tackle, and certainly not something I can do on my own. Murray's premise is that we need to be humble because it "becomes us as creatures; it becomes us as sinners; and it becomes us as saints." Good point.

The one problem that I have with this book is that he oversimplifies the issue. He states that every other sin comes from a lack of humility. While that's a big part of it, I don't think that's our biggest, most defining sin. I follow Jerry Bridges in thinking that ungodliness is our greatest sin: simply factoring God out of the equation. This is a broader category than just pride (though pride is definitely ungodliness).

Nevertheless, this is a great book for a Christian to read devotionally.

1 comment:

  1. ungodliness is a form of pride, because it is thinking we can handle life without God - that we have no need for Him. True humility knows how much we need God and does whatever it takes to find Him.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for joining our discussion of this book!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...