May 20, 2008

Life of Pi by Yann Martel

This book was nothing what I thought it was going to be. Then again, I don't really know what I was expecting. Definitely not what I got, but in a good way. This book is a mixture of fantasy, story-telling, and theological writing all twisted into one interesting story about an Indian boy and a tiger on their journey across the ocean in a small lifeboat. For those of you who have read this book, what did you think about the ending? Was it the tiger or the cook?

I really enjoyed the entire middle section of this book. I was a little bit bored by the first section where Pi is trying out different religions and explaining the workings of the zoo. The middle section on the lifeboat, however, was a completely different story for me. It's what I was looking for in the book (even though I didn't know it). I was fascinated by the way that Pi kept the tiger at bay and loved the way the author threw in little side notes on theology. I believed every minute of it, well believed as much as any of us believe fiction.

1 comment:

  1. I've been fascinated by this book and have wanted to check it out. I'm curious about any fictional book that purports incorporate or address theology because I believe it gives a good picture of where our culture is.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for joining our discussion of this book!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...