August 15, 2011

Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand

I first heard about this book from my boss who doesn't read a lot. It's not the kind of book that I would typically pick up because well, I like fiction. I prefer to lose myself in a story that isn't real rather than reading about one that is. I've missed out on a lot of good books because of that and this book has made me rethink my perspective on non-fiction.

Unbroken is the newest book by the author of Seabiscuit. It's the story of Louie Zamperini, an Olympic runner turned WWII airmen whose plane crashed in the Pacific Ocean on a mission.The story follows his journey immediately after the crash and for the subsequent years as he faces Japanese POW camps and treatment that no one should ever have to endure.

This story is so far-fetched at times that you find yourself thinking there is no way this is a true story. But it is. And it is an incredible one at that. Laura does a fantastic job of telling Louie's story in a way that makes it as readable as a general fiction novel while being as informative as any biography out there.

This is my favorite book of the year by far. I loved it and would recommend it to anyone regardless of what you typically like to read.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for joining our discussion of this book!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...