January 24, 2010

The Pilot's Wife by Anita Shreve

It's been a while since I've just picked out a book to read because I felt like it and not because I was asked to review it or because it was recommended to me by someone else. As part of my 100 in 2010 adventure, I ordered a bunch of books from paperbackswap.com that fit into my categories, and this is the first one that arrived. One of the many books on Oprah's book club list, this was just wanted to be read.

The Pilot's Wife is about a wife of a pilot (surprising huh) who finds out her husbands died in a plane crash. And then finds out that her husband isn't who she thought he was at all. The story follows her in the days and months following the crash as she learns startling and mind-numbing things about this man she thought she knew.

This book is a very easy read text and language wise but a little heart-breaking subject wise. I read it within two days and couldn't put it down once I started. All I wanted to know was what else was Jack really doing with his life when he wasn't with Kathryn at their home on the ocean? Anita Shreve's writing style is addictive and descriptive; she goes back and forth between Kathryn's memories and present linking them with specific imagery like a wedding ring or birthday. I think the book is supposed to be full of twists and turns, but it was pretty easy for me to figure out by about a quarter of the way into the book so no real big surprises. But even if it was predictable, the ending still satisfied that all stories should have happy endings believer in me. 3 stars for good writing and an intriguing story.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for joining our discussion of this book!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...