July 28, 2009

Honey It's All In the Shoes by Phyllis Hoffman

Honey It’s All In The Shoes is a collection of personal essays by the founder of the magazine Southern Lady, Phyllis Hoffman. I was excited to read this book because well, let’s be honest, I love shoes. The personal essays were an insightful guide into the life of a woman born and raised in the south, but I didn’t find them quite as meaningful to me because you know what, I do wear white shoes after Labor Day. And I wear my hair in a ponytail and no makeup more often than not. The stories were all good stories but not quite as insightful for a woman that doesn’t have a trifle bowl and would probably make do with a bowl on top of another bowl anyway.

But overall I did enjoy this book, and the writing made me laugh. And most importantly, I learned two things in the process- 1)you can make an analogy with shoes for anything in life, and 2) I need new shoes.

I would recommend this book to anyone who likes shoes, likes southern living and hospitality, or just anyone that needs a good pick me up book. The author is going through a tough and unexpected time right now, and she presents enduring through challenges in a very optimistic light. A reminder all of us could use no matter what our circumstances. 3 stars.

1 comment:

Thanks for joining our discussion of this book!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...