July 9, 2008

The Other Boleyn Girl by Phillipa Gregory

I know that at least a few of you have already read this book, but I didn't see a review listed. So here's mine. This book is about the Boleyn family, and their reaching for the throne. It's about a cut-throat competition between two sisters as they fight for the love of the King of England, Henry. The novel is loosely based on the historical events between Henry, Katherine of Arragon, and the Boleyn family.

I saw the movie when it came out last fall and was really excited about reading the book. And I wasn't disappointed. Gregory's writing takes you through a journey of the courts of England and really gives you a glimpse into what life may have been like. She includes all of the major historical events (Henry being excommunicated, Katherine being banished, etc.) and writes them in a great story-teller voice. I empathized with Mary as she was tossed aside and only wanted to be with the man she loved and hated Anne as she clawed her way to the throne. The novel is really long, but the characterization of all of the main players was excellent, and I really felt like I knew how each particular character would react in any given circumstance.

Overall, I really enjoyed this book. The topic may not have been my favorite, but I still enjoyed it. I would recommend this to anyone that likes history and is not afraid of reading something a little provocative. It wasn't bad, but what can you expect with a novel themed around winning the king's heart away from his wife?

1 comment:

  1. I haven't read this one, but the movie was good. I have read some other books by Philippa Gregory and was disappointed by her portrayal of Queen Elizabeth. She makes her look like a stupid little twit that couldn't and wouldn't make any decision or form any opinion without a man telling her what to do.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for joining our discussion of this book!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...