May 14, 2008

Tramp for the Lord by Corrie Ten Boom

First off, I should say a word about the title. She's using the traditional understanding of the word "tramp" meaning a vagrant vagabond, not someone who sleeps around. Just thought that I should clarify.

I couldn't wait to read Tramp for the Lord. It's billed as the sequel to The Hiding Place, which was one of the best books I've read in a long time. I definitely had high hopes for this book.

But those hopes were set too high. This isn't a horrendous book, but it was a disappointment. It reads nothing like The Hiding Place. Instead of being one narrative, it is essentially a series of essays, with little flow between them. It appears that they were each written at separate times and then a third party came along and attempted to put the puzzle together, but wasn't quite sure what the puzzle was supposed to look like. Not only that, I found several things that Corrie Ten Boom was defending that I didn't agree with theologically.

While I still have great respect for her and all she went through and how she was able to serve God until the day she died, I just wouldn't recommend this book.

1 comment:

  1. I read The Hiding Place when I was a kid and loved it. I don't know if I'd be into this one, but I bet my mom would.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for joining our discussion of this book!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...