January 14, 2012

Bossypants by Tina Fey


Unless you've been living under a very large rock, you have heard wonderful things about comedy writer, Tina Fey's book, Bossypants.  I had not been living under said rock, and wanted so badly to read it, but I could not bring myself to buy it.  You see, I don't buy books.  I just can't do it.  I either get them from the library, Paperback Swap it, borrow it, or get it for free from the publisher (thanks Book Nook!)  The library had a wait list from here to eternity, as did PBS... and I didn't know anyone in my city who owned the book... and let's face it, Tina's publishers have much more important reviewers than little ol' me!  But I didn't want to be the ONLY one on planet Earth who had not enjoyed the hilarity of Tina Fey.  So, when my dad bought me a 6 month subscription to Audible for my birthday, this book was first on my list!

And it was great!

I loved the fact that in listening to the book, rather than reading it, I got to hear it exactly in the way she intended it.  It was her story in her voice.  And she's funny... really funny.  It went from her early childhood, through high school, college, the improv touring company, SNL, 30 Rock and everywhere in between.  She talks about things like vanity, sexism in the workplace, photoshop and being a mom.  This book covers everything... and she doesn't hold back one bit.  This audio book made me laugh out loud, and look like a crazy person to everyone I crossed on the street.

I loved that some of the things she wrote about, I could relate to... as a woman, as a mom, as a (frustrated) performer.  And she writes about events that JUST happened, so they're fresh in your mind and you have an "inside scoop" into the dirty details... like when she played Sarah Palin on SNL... or when Oprah was on 30 Rock.

This book made me respect Tina Fey in a new way.  For being a brave woman in a man's world of comedy entertainment.  She's like a pioneer!

Yeah, I kinda love her now.

4 Stars.

post signature

2 comments:

  1. Nicole, I wonder if you reacted differently to it being read BY her, as opposed to just hearing the familiar voice as the narrator when reading the paperback version.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh definitely... it was such a unique experience listening to HER do it. You get all her hilarious voices and vocal inflections. I'm happy I listened to it.

      Delete

Thanks for joining our discussion of this book!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...