June 3, 2011

Lone Survivor by Marcus Luttrell

A few months ago, my boss gave me Lone Survivor by Marcus Luttrell to read and insisted that I would love it. He was absolutely right. With last weekend being Memorial Day weekend, I decided it was the perfect time to pick up the book as we remembered all of the people that serve our country.

Marcus Luttrell, a decorated Navy SEAL, writes his story in two parts. The first part of the story gives a detailed explanation of the training of a Navy SEAL, which was fascinating and very eye opening. The second part of the story is about Operation Redwing, a desperate battle in the mountains of Afghanistan. Luttrell speaks of the valiant and heroic efforts of his teammates as they fought against the Taliban.

The book opens with "..my name is Marcus. And I'm writing this book because of my three buddies Mikey, Danny and Axe. If I don't write it, no one will ever understand the indomitable courage under fire of those three Americans. And that would be the biggest tragedy of all."

This book is amazing and powerful. I have always had high respect and reverence for the United States military and for all that they have sacrificed. Lone Survivor gave me a better understanding and a deeper appreciation for the men who fight so valiantly and then face consistent criticism from some of those back home that they are sacrificing their lives for.

I will give the caveat that there is strong language throughout the book. If you are not comfortable reading the book, I suggest that you at least read about Marcus Luttrell's story somewhere, it is amazing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for joining our discussion of this book!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...