May 11, 2011

Shift by Takumi Yamazaki

I'll keep this short and sweet - this book confused me.

The full title of the book is Shift: 13 exercises to make you who you want to be. I was expecting 13 written out, well-defined exercises for me to do to get some motivation and put my life back on track. It started out well; at first I thought the book was going to be about shifting my perspective and teaching me to think about things in a different way, which is where the first half was leading me. But around the middle of the book I got lost and couldn't figure out again what the purpose of the book really was or how I was supposed to use it. The last half of the book is full of what Yamazaki calls techniques (there's 17 of them), and I'm just not sure how those were different than the 13 shifts. Or again how I was supposed to use them.

I think overall there is a lot of good information in this book, but the way it was organized and laid out left me feeling more lost than I was before I started reading it. In short, this book just wasn't for me. It had potential but I need clear, concise instructions and a structure that's easy for me to follow. And I didn't get that in Shift.

I was given a free copy of this book to review. This is my honest and unbiased opinion.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for joining our discussion of this book!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...