April 3, 2011

Couples Who Pray by Squire Rushnell and Louise Duart

Couples Who Pray is a book written for married couples by a husband and wife team. It is a book explaining the benefits of couples who not only pray, but couples who pray together regularly, every day even. Included with the benefits is an actual 40-day prayer challenge that asks you and your spouse to pray together every day for 40 days straight for at least five minutes. And finally, the book includes numerous celebrity testimonies of how prayer and the 40-day prayer challenge specifically changed their marriage.

I'll admit I was hoping for a lot more from this book, but that might be because my husband and I already pray on a regular basis. I was hoping for some sort of guidance or helpful tips to make prayer more meaningful between couples, but I felt like that was included in just two pages of the entire 200 page book. If I needed to be convinced of the benefits of praying together, I may have a different opinion but for me reading the book just got old after a while. Statistic about praying together, example from some celebrity, why you should pray together, repeat. And the great 40-day prayer challenge, as far as I could tell, it's nothing more than making the commitment to pray together for 40 days straight. Yes, I get that's as a challenge but the cover and the description of the book made it seem a little more in-depth and guided. There may be some benefit in this book for those who are seeing a counselor with a Christian counseling degree. For those interested in this degree, more information can be found here.

So overall I was disappointed in the book and felt like name-dropping was more emphasized than the actual overall purpose, which is sad because I'm a firm believer that praying together as a couple is very beneficial to any marriage.

*I received a copy of this book to review through the Book Sneeze blogger program and while this review may not match your own, it is my honest opinion. 2 stars.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for joining our discussion of this book!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...