November 14, 2010

Promise Me by Richard Paul Evans

Richard Paul Evans is the best-selling author of The Christmas Box and The Walk. I remember reading The Christmas Box and loving it; I'm a sucker for a good Christmas story. So when I was given the opportunity to review Promise Me, I was pretty excited. Sadly, Promise Me is not The Christmas Box, not even on the same level for me.

Promise Me is centered around a woman named Beth whose life falls apart in 1989. Her marriage breaks up, her daughter gets diagnosed with an undiagnosable disease, and she's struggling financially. Everything is in shambles until she meets a mysterious man at a 7-11 on Christmas Eve. A mysterious man who changes her life, and the life of her daughter forever. A heart-felt Christmas story with a Time Traveler's Wife type twist, the idea was an intriguing one.

But Evans took it too far, even for me. I was really enjoying the book until I found out who the mysterious man actually was and how he'd come to meet with Beth on that fateful night. And after that moment, the book became more of a disturbing one for me. The relationship between Beth and her mystery man ruined the book for me, and I ended up losing whatever the purpose of the book was in the midst of all that was going on between the two of them.

So while yes I typically like Evans' books, I really didn't care for this one at all. And I definitely wouldn't recommend it. There are so many other good Christmas stories out there that I wouldn't waste the time on this one. 2 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for joining our discussion of this book!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...