December 4, 2009

Liar by Justine Larbalestier


I ordered this book from the library after I heard about the controversy over the cover (the original US cover was to have a white girl on it, while the main character is biracial). I'm sure the cover debacle wasn't intended to create buzz, but it did.

The main character and narrator, Micah, is a compulsive liar. That's about the only thing you can be sure of, as Micah repeatedly scoffs at people who take her at her word after she's admitted she's a liar. It leaves her in a bit of a boy-who-cries-wolf situation as she desperately attempts to get the reader to believe her story (one that she admits is hard to believe). By the end of the book, there is no telling what is the truth and what is not.

Thanks to Thanksgiving break (am I not supposed to say that as a working adult?), I was able to sit down and read this in one sitting. I was really enjoying it until halfway through, when Larbalestier threw in a twist that I hadn't anticipated (though I must admit there were clues to it, I just didn't see the signs). It's not the type of twist I would enjoy, but more than that, I didn't really like how it changed the entire character of the book.

So while I thought this was an interesting story to a point and definitely a thinker, I wouldn't necessarily recommend or discourage it. If you're looking for something a bit different, this might be your book.

Note: I also don't think this book is appropriate for teens. Feel free to call me a prude.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for joining our discussion of this book!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...