August 20, 2009

Influential Books

Sorry I haven't been reviewing lately. In fact I've been in something of a reading rut. I simply haven't felt like reading for awhile, which is very strange for me. I've felt like I've been inundated on all sides, planes, and dimensions by words and noise and couldn't think clearly. I'm reading again now, so I'll be reviewing again soon.

In the meantime, I saw a meme on Facebook in which you're supposed to list 15 books that have influenced you and I thought that would be fun to do on here. Not favorite books mind you, but influential books. You can hate a book and it can have a big impact on your life nonetheless, and you can love a book that doesn't exactly mark a turning point in your life. Here are mine in no particular order.

1. The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho (following your life's path)
2. The Bluest Eye by Toni Morrison (self-worth)
3. Cider House Rules by John Irving (looking at two sides of an issue in a totally objective way)
4. The Bible (oy, both good and bad there I'm afraid)
5. The poetry of Emily Dickinson (the simple beauty and potency of individual words and phrases)
6. The poetry of Pablo Neruda (how breathtakingly beautiful language can be, in any language)
7. The Giving Tree by Shel Silverstein (I know this is supposed to be about the earth, but for me it's the mother-child relationship)
8. Spiritual Midwifery by Ina May Gaskin (the only writer to tell it like it is regarding childbirth, without condescending or white-washing)
9. The Darkness series by Frank Peretti
10. Romance as a genre (in a very negative way, as per expectations of real relationships)
11. The Sword of Truth series by Terry Goodkind (negative and positive, it freaked me out but also showed me new ways to think creatively)
12. Everything by Terry Pratchett (again, new ways to think creatively)
13. The Babysitter's Club series (I was always a big reader, but this series is what really turned me into a bookworm, lame as that may be)
14. Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen (I've re-read this at every stage of my life and get something more out of it every time)
15. I don't remember the name of it, but there was a book my mom bought us when we were kids about the right way to clean a room. I've followed its direction my whole life.

5 comments:

  1. The Alchemist is also my favorite book ever!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been in a reading rut for most of this summer. I think it's something about the carefree spirit of summer. I've been getting back into it though.

    I can't see you reading the Babysitter's Club. But, that was a long time ago! (I read them too.)

    The right way to clean a room? Ha ha!

    There are some very good books on here...I think I'm going to have to do this, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally read the entire Babysitter's Club series. I tried to start my own club! Ah, memories.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the Alchemist and read every single book in the Babysitter's Club series. Of course, who didn't :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Sword of Truth? the torture and the S & M completely freaked me out. I read the 1st 2 books in the series and then decided to call it a day for this one

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for joining our discussion of this book!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...