July 10, 2009

Sunset Beach by Trish Perry

I was sent a copy of Sunset Beach by Trish Perry to review by the publisher. When I first read the back cover I thought this was just going to be another "beach novel." Fluff, chick-lit, whatever you want to call it. Something worth reading while laying out at the pool, but that's it. Surprisingly, it wasn't. The book is about Sonny Miller, 24-year old recent graduate in pyschology, trying to find out who she is- literally. Sonny's mom Teresa has avoided any questions about Sonny's past including who her father is, if she has any relatives, and how she came about. The only thing Sonny knows is that her mom has a sister, Melanie; Sonny hires a private investigator who finds this sister and invites her to spend a week at a beach house with Sonny and her mom. Without telling her mom.

The week is full of Sonny doing pyschology tests (and play breaks) with her mom and Melanie that she really doesn't know to interpret. But the test results aren't hard to interpet and give you a view into the sisters' lives before they went their separate ways 25 years ago.

I don't want to give you many more details about the book as it has a lot of twists and turns that kept me turning the pages. There is a lot of depth to this book, its theme, and its characters. The writing is great; I laughed out loud multiple times and got teary-eyed at others. It really is just full of surprises, good ones. I'd recommend it to anyone really. There's something for everyone- family drama, romance, friendship, and female bonding. 5 stars.

1 comment:

  1. Stumbled upon this blog and was quite interested in the review, enough so that I ordered the book "Sunset Beach" from my local book store as this was not in stock. I am looking forward to a good read.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for joining our discussion of this book!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...