April 19, 2009

Lady of Milkweed Manor by Julie Klassen

I do not remember how I stumbled upon Lady of Milkweed Manor by Julie Klassen, but I am so glad that I did. It is a heart-wrenching (though not unbearably so) and heart-warming story of an unwed mother set in England during the early 1800's. It was quite the page-turner. This is not because it is suspenseful really but because I really liked the main character, Charlotte Lamb, and wanted to know what became of her.

It is a story of womanly issues (childbirth, breastfeeding, a mother's sacrifice) so I doubt many men would like the book. On the other hand, being an ex-doula and current childbirth educator, it was right up my alley. It was fascinating to see how far we have come in many ways. It was refreshing to read a tale of maternal sacrifice when so often children are treated as talking pets in our society.

Honor and romance also figure into the story. It pits the flattery and eye-lash batting kind against the thoughtful and subtler kind. It shows love as doing what is best for the other person. It shows marriage as a commitment and a tender thing between a man and a woman.

This book also made me think about the balance between God's grace and a world of consequences. It is a thought provoking book in many respects, yet it is not preachy.

I gladly give this book 5 stars.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for joining our discussion of this book!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...