April 4, 2008

House by Frank Peretti and Ted Dekker


House is written by two big names in contemporary Christian fiction. Before I read this book, I had enjoyed several books by each author (The Visitation by Frank Peretti is one of my all-time favorites, as is Ted Dekker's Circle Trilogy). I thought I had a pretty good chance of enjoying this book.

I really didn't. It's not awful, but it's much more of a scary story, something I don't enjoy. I greatly appreciated the picture that they provided of the ugliness of our hearts without Christ, but that doesn't really make for a pleasant story.

A couple breaks down in the middle of nowhere and stumbles upon an old inn which takes them in for a night. It's not long before they realize that there's something wrong...and that there is no way of escape. It gets really weird after they go into the basement and realize things aren't as they appear.

I don't criticize the authors for how dark their story is as I've heard others do. I think that was necessary to get their point across. It's just not the type of book that I like to read.

If you like scary stories, I would recommend this book. If you do not, stay away.

6 comments:

  1. I love Frank Peretti. I'm surprised anyone would criticize him for writing something dark, all of his books have been pretty dark.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've read both The Visitation and Monster, and enjoyed them both. I enjoy dark/scary stories though. I think I'll actually put this one on my "To Read" list.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know, while I used to read "scary books" I have never read any of his. Perhaps I should some day. I've gotten bored with the typical "chic lit" out there right now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't read anything by these authors, but I do enjoy dark/scary books, so I will keep this one in mind for the future.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just read this book for a Book Club that I am a member of. I thought it was the worst book I've ever read. The characters did not evoke any sympathy or empathy from me. They were selfish, short-sighted and just plain stupid in their actions & in their thoughts. I just wanted to remind them of the rules to survive a horror movie: 1. Do not separate for any reason. 2. Do not make out with the horny girl, she is going to die and you will too. 3. Teenagers appearing out of nowhere are usually evil, don't believe anything they say. 4. etc etc etc.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I read this book the other week and thought it was GREAT! Yes, it is really scary, but it's mostly in your head. I give this one a THUMBS UP!!!!! only for people who are OK with being pretty darn scared.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for joining our discussion of this book!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...