March 30, 2008

Book Review: 90 Minutes in Heaven

90 Minutes in Heaven by Don Piper is a true story about the time he was in a car accident, died, went to heaven, and then returned to life on earth. I am always suspect with stories about near death experiences but had heard great reviews about this book. I was actually really excited to get to read it after my grandmother told me how great it was. Unfortunately, in the end, I was disappointed.

Based on the title, I expected the entire book to be about Don Piper's account of his time in heaven. Rather, only one chapter was dedicated to his time in heaven and the rest of the book deals with Don Piper's recovery after the auto accident.

While it was an inspiring story, hearing how Don Piper overcame his injuries and depression, I felt a lot of the information was just repeated in each chapter, just a little differently.

Description of the book:

As he is driving home from a minister's conference, Baptist minister Don Piper collides with a semi-truck that crosses into his lane. He is pronounced dead at the scene. For the next 90 minutes, Piper experiences heaven where he is greeted by those who had influenced him spiritually. He hears beautiful music and feels true peace. Back on earth, a passing minister who had also been at the conference is led to pray for Don even though he knows the man is dead. Piper miraculously comes back to life and the bliss of heaven is replaced by a long and painful recovery. For years Piper kept his heavenly experience to himself. Finally, however, friends and family convinced him to share his remarkable story.
I know a lot of people really enjoyed this book and were inspired by it, but I wasn't one of them.

3 comments:

  1. I'm a skeptic. This doesn't sound too interesting to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed this book,and passed it forward to my friends by "mail".

    A wonderful book that allows us a glimpse of heaven.

    It encouraged me to read this.

    Easy read, maybe 1.5 hours to 2 hours tops taking it very slowly.

    Judy Laughton Lilley

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great book, my 11 yr old daughter is now reading it

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for joining our discussion of this book!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...