April 8, 2008

Book Review: Feeling For Bones



I picked this book up at the library a couple of weeks ago because it sounded like an interesting novel, certainly not the typical Christian literature type of book. It certainly has spiritual undertones, but weaves Christianity into the novel without being preachy.

It is narrated by Olivia, a 16-year old girl who struggles with body-image issues, searching for her inner beauty and struggling to find her place in the world. While she struggles with anorexia, it isn't the main focus of the novel. The focus is on her own self-discovery and spritial awakening.


From Amazon:

Olivia not only takes readers deep into her struggles with anorexia but introduces a rich cast of characters, like her funny, needy little sister, whose birth name is Claire, but who everyone calls Callapher, short for "Calla Flower." With the help of beautiful Mollie, a free-spirited, devout Christian girl who quickly befriends the family, and Margaret, an old, kind, busy-body great-aunt who is always ready with a helping hand, Olivia and Callapher do their best to settle into their new home, nicknamed "The Shoe Box" because of its tiny size. They've just moved to a small town where Mom and Dad try to make a new life after a scandal forces Dad out of his position as pastor of their old church in Ohio. This story is about family, faith, love, starting over and a whole host of life's curve balls, beautifully told by a girl who has endless heart but a tough mountain to climb when it comes to loving herself as is.

This book is difficult for me to review. While it was beautifully written and had an interesting plot and set of characters, my problem with it was that it moved too slowly at times. But that doesn't make it a "bad" book. It was a very good book, I just prefer books with a little bit of action in them.

But at the same time, I think many - if not all women - can relate in some aspect to the main character, Olivia. I haven't struggled with an eating disorder, but there have been many times in my life, even now, that I feel trapped by my insecurities and supposed inadequacies.

So I give this book 4 stars. It is an excellent book as far as writing and story-line go. The author is an excellent writer, her descriptions of things and feelings are vivid. But there were just a few occasions where the story moved a little too slowly in my opinion.

And I will definitely be looking for her next novel.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds interesting...I might have to put this on my ever increasing "to read" list!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for joining our discussion of this book!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...