January 21, 2008

Book Review: Where The Heart Is

Where the Heart Is is the first novel by Billie Letts. I'm sure almost everyone has seen or heard of the movie the book is based upon starring Natalie Portman and Naomi Judd. I fell in love with the movie and because of my opinion that the book is always better than the movie, when my mother-in-law gave me this book I was excited to read it.

This is a story about a girl named Novalee Nation who at the young age of 17 becomes pregnant and then homeless. She becomes known as the girl who had a baby in a Wal-Mart after being abandoned in a small Oklahoma town.

What I loved most abut this book are the unforgettable characters. Every character is unique. From Sister Husband, head of the Welcoming Committe, Forney, the librarian, and Moses the photographer.

The book has humor but still allows you to understand what it fells like to be a young pregnant girl with nowhere to go. No family. No friends. No job. No nothing but her and her unborn baby.

I loved this book. Billie Letts has two other novels out as well, Shoot the Moon and The Honk and Holler Opening Soon that I am excited to read in the future.

4 comments:

  1. I enjoy this movie. I read the book during a summer when I had lots of free time. I liked it alright, but didn't think it was good enough to keep (contrary to my usual "keep all books" policy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw this movie when it came out and really enjoyed it. I totally forgot it was based on a movie! I think I'll have to check this out, along with her other books. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Courtney, thanks! I was going to send out an email about this weekend I am going to put together the book exchange and add more stuff to the site. I have a couple of books to add to it myself.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for joining our discussion of this book!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...